Now Reading
Can dogs eat grapes?

Can dogs eat grapes?

can dog eat grapes

Can dogs eat grapes? No, dogs should never eat grapes. Neither grapes or raisins should ever be eaten by dogs. Grapes and raisins have are highly toxic to dogs and can cause acute sudden kidney failure. If your dog eats grapes or raisins contact your veterinarian immediately!

Grapes are toxic for every single breed or age of a dog. Ingesting grapes could potentially lead to acute (sudden) kidney failure in dogs. According to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, they received a total of 3,722 calls involving grapes and raisins in 2016.

Here are the signs and symptoms that may occur after toxic ingestion:

See Also
can dogs eat cherries

  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy, weakness, unusual stillness
  • Vomiting and/or diarrhea, often within a few hours
  • Abdominal pain (tender when touched)
  • Dehydration (signs include panting; dry nose and mouth; pale gums). A quick way to test for dehydration is to gently pull up on the skin at the back of your dog’s neck. It should spring back immediately.
  • Increased thirst and/or urine production or diminished amount of urine or complete cessation altogether
  • Kidney failure (which can be fatal)

If your dog has ingested grapes or raisins, treatment is absolutely critical. Contact your veterinarian immediately. Your vet may suggest you induce vomiting as soon as possible. However, you should not induce vomiting if your dog is having trouble breathing, exhibiting signs of distress, is unconscious, or if you’re not sure what he has eaten.

View Comments (0)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

© 2020 Can Pets Eat. All Rights Reserved.

Scroll To Top